Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Helping fight light pollution

I feel pretty strongly about light pollution, especially since I live in a heavily light polluted area that gets worse every year. Not to mention that every year, my club's observing sites become more encroached upon by exurban sprawl. Currently, I'm driving 60 miles to get to darkish skies. In a few years, it will be 80 miles.

I've been planning this for months, but I finally got some time to reorganize the Stargazer Tees site and put all my designs into sections, including a section for anti-light pollution designs.

To put my money where my mouth is, I'm donating a dollar of every item purchased from the Light Pollution section to the International Dark-Sky Association. I've currently got three t-shirt designs (lots more coming!), some bumper stickers, and a license plate frame. Check it out and let me know what you think:



When I get a few sales, I'll start a running tally of how much I've raised. Not only will the IDA be able to do some good with the money, but I hope if people wear the shirts, it will help raise awareness. After all, bad lighting is not only detrimental for stargazing, but it's incredibly wasteful, and has been proven not to increase public safety (contrary to popular misconception).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home